Fareed Zakaria spoke today on his CNN show about how he was intrigued by Iceland’s decision to throw out their Constitution and create a new governing document for the nation. Even more exciting and unique, was Iceland’s decision to accept suggestions for the new Constitution through social media applications like Twitter and Facebook, from all of its 320,000 citizens.
Zakaria was not only impressed with the transparency of the process, but the willingness to engage in the process at all. By contrast, in America, Zakaria noted “any talk of revising or revisiting the American Constitution is of course seen as heresy.” Yet Zakaria believed our Constitution could use some modernizing, particularly Amendments addressing the Electoral College and the unfairly disproportionate representation of Senators.
Dude. Look at how hip Iceland is, yo! Seriously though. Iceland is so fucking awesome. Let me count the ways:
1. Held the first parliament in the world in 930.
2. The first parliament was held at the rift between the North American and European continents.
3. Iceland grows a centimeter per year due to the rift.
4. Female prime minister
5. Gay prime minister
6. 75.4% of their electricity is from hydro power. 24% of their electricity is from geothermal power. 0.1% of their electricity is from fossil fuels.
7. The prime minister has a nice little house in the middle of Reykjavik with a fence and a single lever to prevent cars from coming in and out.
8. Clean as can be.
9. About 80% of Iceland is uninhabitable.
10. First settled by Irish monks.
Welp, I’m moving. I’m sure they’ll accept someone
completely unemployable with a philosophy degree who can’t speak the language, right?